Monday, November 9, 2009

Blog for the week...harvest













I almost forgot about my blog for the week. I have been so busy this week. Being the wife of a farmer can be stressful sometimes. I think I have seen my husband a total of 2 hours in the last week. =( For those of you that have never been exposed to being on a farm, I encourage you to sometime in your life taking a visit to a working grain farm. You will see things in a different light. Most people don't realize the bi products from Corn, Soybeans and Wheat. These are things that a lot of people take for granted, but without farmers, you would have to go without a lot of the things you use everyday. For example...Soybeans are used in vegtable oil, soy sauce, tofu, soy milk, diesel fuel, livestock feed, among many other uses. Corn is used in so many things, I would be here for days listing them all, but a few examples are adhesives, fuel oil, mayonnaise, chewing gum, baby food, paper manufacturing, cosmetics, whiskey, soft drinks, pharmaceuticals, crayons and chalk...etc. Some of the many uses of wheat include, flour, bread, cereal, beer...etc. Everyone in this world uses one of these grains for something that they use in their everyday life.
Farmers work very hard during the year to provide these grains for the workd to use. I am very happy to have grown up on a farm I think it has given me a better outlook on life and where the things we use everyday come from.
I have posted a few pictures of our farm and my husband harvesting...enjoy=)

1 comment:

  1. Wow... I love the pictures! My grandparents were alfalfa farmers when I was growing up and I used to spend the summers in the far corner of southeast CO helping. I miss that, those were some of my favorite times! But it is a LOT of work! I have nothing but respect for the people that can still make that way of life work! Good luck with the harvest and keep the pictures coming when you can!~

    ReplyDelete