Sunday, November 22, 2009

Looking back at the week...


This week has been another busy one...It rained some this week, so my husband got a break from the fields. He is an avid hunter and has been complaining that harvest is dragging out so long that he will never get the chance to get onto the woods, so the rain coming was a blessing in disguse. He got up early in the rain and took to the woods for the day. He didn't really see much, so he came home and ate lunch and headed out for the evening hunt. After a few hours in the woods he sent me a text message saying..."I just missed a big buck...I think". After looking for about 20 min. for his arrow he decided to come home because it was dark. The next morning he ventured back out to find the deer he thought he missed. There it was laying in the creek...I was so excited when he said called and told me he found it...because now it is back to the grind. It was just luck the way it worked out on his rain day...=)

5 comments:

  1. Dannnng! That is a HUGE buck! Congrats to him. Great pic, and lovely reflection. I love reading your updates!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a fine looking buck! I do have a question: Since your husband found the buck a day later, is it still safe to eat without proper refrigeration? I know I sound like a nerd but was just curious...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jennifer,

    I think you guys will eat for a couple of days anyway. But like John I am wondering if it is safe to do that sort of thing with dead animals. Im not much of a woods girl, even though I did grow up near a woods, and I like to walk in the woods, but know next to nothing about hunting.

    Sherry W.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh YUM!!! Venison!! I love deer season...sadly though my bf didnt see anything in the woods for archery this year. I am hoping that gun season will be much better especially with 4 of us in the woods. (Me, my 16 and 14 year old daughters and the BF) I just love filling up our freezers with loads of venison and making homemade jerky and deer bologna! It is my favorite time of the year! Please tell your hubby Grats on that beautiful buck. That thing is a monster and has an awesome rack!! Is he going to mount the head?

    ReplyDelete
  5. To answer your questions...although it was cold enough here in Ohio over night after he shot the deer, he found him in a small creek almost completely submerged. To be honest, at that point in time we were iffy and when it comes to meat, I don't wanna have any doubts. When we took him to the guy that we have do our mounts, who is also our processor, he told us that there was a spot on his chin, a small bulge if you will that was infected from where he had been stabbed in a fight by another bucks antlers...so even if he hadn't have layed in the creek all night long, we still wouldn't have been able to process him due to the infection. We are still waiting for our mount to come back from the buck he shot last year...geesh =)

    ReplyDelete